top of page

City are through to the League Cup Final!

Kidderminster Harriers 2-2 WCWFC (City win 4-5 on penalties)

Champion killers, City upset both League and County Cup champions in the space of three days, earning themselves a cup final.

After the abandoned game a couple of weeks back, City come to Aggborough Stadium, for the replay in the League Cup Semi-Final.

A bright evening in this wonderful stadium showed class in the terraces and on the field, with great away support and a solid Worcester performance.

Harriers though had the first chance in their male counterparts' stadium, with a free kick that raised slightly over the bar, not too troubling for Hine in goal.

Kidderminster had the best part of the early exchanges, with a couple of corners and a strike from the edge of the area that was deflected from the goal.

Worcester retaliated with a cluster of shots and crosses applying pressure, testing the Harriers backline. City had the best of the possession thus far, but seemed to lack the finishing touches, looking to unlock the defence instead.

Rogers tried to mimic her finish from last Sunday, this time her luck wasn’t there and it curled over the bar.

She was in again a few minutes later with a perfectly timed run onto a through-ball, her effort hit the side netting.

Kidderminster almost broke the deadlock going into the last ten of the first half, with a goal-line clearance, and an audacious strike that rattled the crossbar in moments of each other.

Just before the whistle though Mitcham scored, a beautiful, elegantly worked goal moved from left to right and back across again, where she was on-hand to dispatch calmly. Riston had a huge part to play in this one dribbling through four players before starting their move.

Liv: “We worked really hard and put in a shift, we worked a good goal in the first half and grabbed one early in the first, we nearly let it slip, but we’ve had five games in the last ten days so it probably has something to do with that.”

After a quick start to the second half, Worcester looked to add another off the bat. Liv, the goalscorer, played a through ball to Ritson, the shot was deflected for a corner.

Harriers were desperately looking for an equaliser, getting closer with every attempt, the closest a header from a corner which was smothered well by Hine.

Another goal for City. Very similar to the first, a Ritson-Mitcham combination, Leah found herself through on goal and squired across to Mitcham who nudged the ball through the keeper. A great partnership.

As the dark descended Worcester was shining on the field and well and truly in the driving seat. Substitute Marrett broke into some space, it must have been her first few touches, she curled an effort just wide of the post.

There was a call for a penalty Mitcham seemed to be fouled in the area but the Referee said no. Liv stayed on the ground but was unhurt.

Kidderminster hadn’t given up despite the scoreline and almost found one back if it wasn’t for some good defending and a smart save.

They did, however, find the back of the net with just ten to go in the semi-final, it seemed to rally both sets of fans, we were in for an exciting end.

Shortly after, from sustained pressure Harriers had the equaliser to the roar of the home fans.

Rogers had a chance the give City the lead once again but a quick stop from the keeper pushed it for a corner. At the other end, Hine was on her toes and she needed to be with a crucial save.

After numerous penalties, the game came to an end with a Hine save that takes City to the League Cup final.

Matt said: “We knew with even ten minutes to go they were going to push us, we came over it, we showed character and grit, I couldn’t be prouder.”

Match report written by Keanan Rolph. Photos courtesy of Paul Hickey Photography.

Hear what Manager Matt Lock and brace scorer Olivia Mitcham had to say following the win:


WCWFC's last home game of the season will be played at Sixways Stadium!

WCWFC vs Shrewsbury Town | Sunday 7th May | 2:30pm KO

479 views0 comments


bottom of page