top of page

City end 2023 top of the league with a dominant win over Coundon Court

WCWFC 4-0 Coundon Court  

WCWFC hosted Coundon Court Ladies at Sixways this weekend in the last match of 2023. 

City were off to a flying start, and in the 5th minute, after Fassnidge picked off a loose ball in the midfield and combined nicely with Mitcham, the ball fell to Rogers a few yards out, where she had the simple job of tapping the ball in to make it 1-0. 

City controlled the bulk of possession, but Coundon Court still posed a threat from set pieces, and goalkeeper Stolt controlled their area expertly, catching and parrying every ball that threatened City’s goal. As a result, City could hit the opposition on the break. 

In the 26th minute, Mitcham and Congrave worked the ball down the right flank, and Congrave delivered a perfect ball into the area, where Mitcham beat her defender and nodded the ball past the keeper, an almost carbon copy of the goal against Coventry Sphinx. City continued to look a threat, and Congrave would have made it three had it not been for some heroics from the Coundon Court defender. The score remained 2-0 going into halftime. 

The second half began much like the first ended, with City putting Coundon Court under pressure. In the 55th minute, Rogers added to her tally after her corner snuck through the legs of the player guarding the front post and directly into the back of the net, making the score 3-0. 

Stolt continued her good form from the first half and made important saves and catches from dangerous deliveries into the area. The pick of the bunch came in the 82nd minute after a Coundon Court attacker found room at the top of the box and rifled an effort towards the goal. Stolt was up to the challenge, stretching out to their left and making a huge top-handed save, keeping her clean sheet intact. 

Second-half substitute Ritson made life very difficult for the Coundon Court defence, using her blistering pace to get in behind on multiple occasions, not giving the defenders a moment's rest, on and off the ball. 

The fourth and final goal of the match came in the 88th minute through the ever-present captain, Jess Fassnidge assisted by Baldwin. After a ball in from the right flank fell nicely at her feet, Fassnidge coolly lifted the ball over the on-rushing keeper. 

This win sees City climb to the top of the table going into the Christmas break. Thank you so much to our wonderful fans for your support. We hope you have a wonderful Christmas and a very Happy New Year!

We are delighted to reveal that you amazing people helped us raise an amazing £540 for the Worcester Food Bank because of your kind donations yesterday.

Our next game after the Christmas break sees us take on Solihull Sporting in the league at Sixways, get your tickets for that game on the 7th January now!

Hear what Coach Jen Anslow and Goalkeeper Sofia Stolt had to say after the game:


WCWFC Development 4-2 Redditch United

City's Development team ended 2023 on a high after sealing the three points at home to Redditch.

Worcester took an early lead through a long ball into the corner, chased down hard by Pearson. The winger did well to take the ball around the Redditch backline and slot the ball neatly into the bottom corner.

Shortly after City doubled their lead after Pygott directed a throw-in towards Watson's feet, who touched the ball over the defender's head, and fired the ball too high for the keeper to reach.

Worcester continued to pile on the pressure, creating more opportunities for themselves. An opportunity arose for City when a free kick was awarded outside of the 18-yard box, where Collins guided the ball beautifully into the back of the net making it 3-0 to Worcester inside 30 minutes.

More chances were created by City’s midfield who continued to put pressure on the Redditch players. After Finley did well to win the ball back from Redditch, Collins stroked the ball just high over the crossbar.

Redditch started to create a couple of opportunities late into the first half, but City’s defence did well to track back and work together to overturn the ball and clear it towards the attacking players.

Conway was called into the game just before half-time to keep the score at 3-0, after Redditch played the ball out to their right winger, who crossed the ball into the box, but Conway managed to get a hand on the ball to tip it away from the Redditch striker before Pygott cleared it away from the goal line.

Redditch came out a lot stronger in the second half after being on the back foot for the majority of the first. The possession was much more even in the second half, but few opportunities at goal in the opening minutes of it.

City were the breakers of the deadlock in the second half after Wikeley latched onto a loose ball and teed up Heath to score into the top corner from over 30 yards out making it 4-0.

After City lost possession in the middle, Redditch got their first of the afternoon making it 4-1, with the right winger releasing a powerful shot beyond Conway's reach.

In the closing minutes, Redditch scored their second of the afternoon, after retaining possession and playing around City's defence, making the full-time score 4-2.

268 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page