top of page

City start 2024 with a big win over Solihull Sporting

WCWFC 5-1 Solihull Sporting  

Ahead of the first matchday back from Christmas break, City sat top of the table, ending 2023 on a high. Meanwhile, Solihull were hoping to build their way up from where they sat in sixth place. 11 points separated the two sides with their last meetup ending in a 6-1 victory to Worcester City away.

Straight off the bat, Worcester City strove forward, linking up across the pitch to bring their strikers into the game early on and it wasn’t long before City profited.

Worcester’s Goalkeeper, Sofia Stolt was called into action, stopping Solihull in their tracks by coming out of goal to make a well-decided save. However, no more than a few minutes later did City’s Olivia Mitcham open the game before the 10th minute. Assisted by City’s captain Jess Fassnidge, the forward struck a shot into the back of the net.

Mitcham and Emma Congrave’s partnership continued to look good for City with Congrave gliding a shot just over Solihull’s crossbar. After Stolt made yet another good save to deny Solihull, the ball travelled back up to the other end. Congrave attempted to cross a shot into the goal but was denied by Solihull’s number one, the ball spilling out onto Fassnidge’s path. The captain struck a low ball through to the centre of the goal which the opposition’s goalkeeper could not keep out.

City had a few more attempts on goal before they benefitted, with Emma Congrave looking untouchable as she weaved through Solihull’s backline, trying to find Mitcham.

It was the deserved Annie Highway who scored Worcester’s third though. A well-worked movement of play from Congrave left defenders in her dust. She sped through to Solihull’s end, crossing it to Highway who was eventually rewarded for her earlier efforts on goal, her shot bouncing off the left post and into the net.

An early injury in the second half to striker Emma Congrave saw the substitution of Jenn Higgs who, after not long coming on the pitch, made an impact. Higgs spotted the space City’s winger Holly Rogers found herself in and Rogers headed the ball, rattling it into the net.

At the other end of the pitch though came Solihull’s only goal of the game. However, this did not knock the confidence of City who were determined for more.

With Annie Sime and Holly Rogers exiting the pitch came the substitutions of midfielder Kerstin Ballard and striker Leah Ritson. An injury to Solihull’s goalkeeper made it so the team could gather and regroup which worked in City’s favour. A third-time corner from Ritson fell to Mitcham. The striker passed it on to Fassnidge and she shot City’s fifth and final past the Solihull number one, scoring her second goal of the game.

City’s force did not stop there as Ritson powered on down the left side and crossed a lovely ball into the back of the net but was unfortunately called offside. Solihull’s goalkeeper had to stay focused once more to ensure the powerful Mitcham did not score City’s sixth. Despite this, the match ended 5-1 with us just short of matching the score we came out with in our previous match against the Solihull side.

Thank you so much to our wonderful fans for your support.

City travel to local rivals Kidderminster Harriers in the league on Sunday for a 2pm kick-off. The next home game at Sixways is in the County Cup against Redditch Borough on Sunday 21st January, get your tickets for the game below!

Hear what Captain Jess Fassnidge and Manager Matt Tally had to say after the game:


Redditch Borough 3-1 WCWFC Development

City started well with lots of possession, and created chances by playing through Redditch's back line. The first good opportunity came after L.Smith had the ball played through to her feet, she did well to take the ball around the defender and fired the shot just high of the crossbar.

Shortly after, City conceded a free kick just outside of the box, which called Bridgwater into action making a comfortable save.

Dutton won possession from Redditch and cleared the ball out of danger to Watson, who took the ball down confidently, laying the ball into space for L.Smith to drive onto and slot the ball beyond the Redditch keeper's reach making it 1-0.

Late in the first half, Conway was awarded a free kick after a foul on the edge of the box. Unfortunately, the shot trickled just wide of the keepers near post.

Redditch evened the score just before half-time after they dribbled the ball past Bridgwater and slotted it into the back of the net.

Redditch managed to get the first goal of the second half, very early on, putting the ball too far to Bridgwater's right.

Redditch came out stronger in the second half than they did in the first. The second half seemed to be so much more open than the first, with possession constantly switching.

The home side punished Worcester with a third after City were on the attack, they knicked the ball from Conway. On another day the referee may have blown for a foul but play continued and on the break, Redditch stuck the ball in the back of the net.

The Development team host Droitwich Spa at home on Sunday in a 2pm kick off.


WCWFC Under 18s 2-2 Knowle Under 18s Raptors

City's U18s finally beat the weather last Saturday to play a home tie versus fourth-placed Knowle Raptors.

The New Year could not have started better for City with a 3rd minute cross-field pass from Charlotte R to Bella wide on the right who used her pace to skillfully turn her defender on the edge of the box and then launched an absolute rocket into the top left-hand corner of the goal.

Sadly City’s advantage was only short-lived as Knowles' determined play sprung City’s defence and despite Becca’s best efforts equalized in the 8th minute from a shot inside the left of City’s box.

There then followed a competitive free-flowing game with opportunities for both teams at either end which neither team capitalized upon. In the 37th minute a foul just inside City’s box resulted in a penalty kick being awarded to The Raptors. Becca showed her trademark coolness under pressure catching the penalty attempt high above her stopping a ball that would otherwise have been destined to creep under the bar.

The second half continued in the same vein as the first with chances for either side to break the deadlock. However, The Raptors slowly started to gain the upper hand and City was increasingly relying on Becca's acrobatics to keep the scores even.

Then in the 69th minute, The Raptors converted one of their breakthroughs with a well-judged and incisive pass splitting City’s defence resulting in an impressive strike from outside the box to beat the airborne Becca.

City responded with grit and determination and battled hard to regain the initiative. In the vanguard of this effort was Ella who had several promising chances snuffed out until providing a grandstand finish in 89th minute. A spilled save resulted in a free ball on the right of the box, Ellie pounced on it and passed across the goalmouth for the well-positioned Ella to convert the equaliser under pressure.

One minute later the full-time whistle blew leaving the scoreline 2-2 earning a hard-fought point for City. Player of the Match was awarded by the Players to Becca for another outstanding performance who saved something like 19 shots on target including a penalty save.

290 views0 comments


bottom of page