top of page

Coundon Court Ladies vs Worcester City Women - CITY FIGHT BACK TWICE TO SNATCH POINT 

Coundon Court 3-3 WCWFC

Worcester City Women fought back twice to claim a 3-3 draw with Coundon Court away at Hawkes Mill Sports Club, despite initially trailing by a two-goal disadvantage.

After an early setback where City found themselves two goals down inside the first 15-minutes, Worcester responded emphatically as they clawed the game back level in the second half.

It was an improved second-half performance from City, in which they dominated possession and Cerys Dolloway and Olivia Mitcham bagged their first goals of the 23/24 season.

New signing, Kirsty Bridgwater made her first team debut in yellow and blue as she started in goal in Alisha Hine’s absence, whilst Laura Davies made her first start of the season in midfield.

Coundon Court started on the front foot with a goal from a penalty, and then the home side doubled their advantage just two minutes later – leaving City needing to galvanise immediately. Worcester did just that as they soon found a way back into the game as Emma Congrave’s near post shot was enough to beat the keeper as she cut onto her right foot.

As the game was leaning towards an equaliser, both Mitcham and Holly Rogers went close with respectable chances.

For the second period, City made a change as Rogers made way for Leah Ritson; operating on the left wing, the change saw Congrave switch to the right.

Worcester started on the front foot as they controlled possession – waiting for the right moment. And that moment came from a corner just over 10 minutes into the half as Cerys Dolloway rose highest to head home the leveller.

As City pressed for the game’s winner, they made a second change as Annie Highway made way for Maisie Farr’s introduction. The hosts scored for a third time, with a long-range effort, despite strong appeals from Worcester for a foul on Laura Davies moments before in the lead-up to Coundon’s goal.

Worcester showed grit, resilience, and determination to not leave empty-handed as Shona Baldwin enjoyed plenty of space down the right flank – her low cross for Olivia Mitcham’s tap-in inside the six-yard-box in the later stages of the game, ensured City claimed a point from the match.

The result sees Worcester City start the season unbeaten with two draws from the opening matches. They will now welcome Lichfield City to Sixways next Sunday in a 2pm kick-off. Whilst our next away game is against Coventry Sphinx on the 23 September.

Match report written by Todd Sasin.


Hear what Matt Tally, Cerys Dolloway and Hollie Congrave had to say after the game:


Alvechurch Women 3-3 WCWFC Development

The points were shared for the WCWFC Development Team away at Alvechurch after late drama, when Tilly Pearson equalised in the 95th minute!

Worcester started off the stronger side with an opportunity arising at only 4 minutes in, which Pygott finished nicely. There was good build up play from the defence, played out to the right to Griffiths and after a couple of touches in the box, the goalkeeper spilled a shot, which fell nicely to Pygott who slotted the ball into the top of the net to make it 0-1.

Worcester continued to dominate the first half, with lots of possession but little chances to show for it. Alvechurch did have a chance of their own when they won a corner, which was headed wide by an Alvechurch attacker.

At 15 minutes, Worcester secured a second goal, after great work by Griffiths, who dribbled past 3 players before shooting at goal, and Badland was there to finish the rebound to make it 0-2.

Alvechurch did bounce back, and began to find their feet, and Stolt was forced into some crucial saves early on to keep City’s lead at 2 goals.

Shortly before halftime, Alvechurch pulled one back through a corner and a header at the front post to make it 1-2.

An early opportunity in the second half for Alvechurch was cleared wide by Stolt and shortly after Dutton found herself on a free kick just inside the Alvechurch half. She put in a great cross placing the ball nicely at the back post, setting up Griffiths, who shot first time and put the volley just wide.

Alvechurch equalised shortly after, when the striker finished cooly, slotting it bottom right - 2-2.

Approaching 90 minutes, Alvechurch took the lead, but City didn't give up and Pearson powered a shot towards the Church goalkeeper, with the keeper unable to save it, City equalised with no time left to play to win a well-deserved point on the road.

The Development side go again next week, still searching for the first win, away at Welland Ladies First Team in the Worcestershire County Cup.


Bromsgrove Sporting U18s 1-1 WCWFC U18s

WCWFC U18 started their Central Warwickshire League campaign with a well-fought 1-1 draw away to Bromsgrove Sporting U18s, in extremely hot conditions.

City started the game strong and dominated possession and at 15 minutes Roseann Day picked up the ball out wide and sent a cross into Mia Guinan who finished off the chance to score our first league goal of the season.

Sporting scored shortly after, curling the ball into the far corner, leaving goalkeeper Rebecca Wood with no chance.

City continued to play their impressive football and controlled the second half with Connie Poole dominating the midfield and linking well with Eva Thomas and Kiera Shipley to create regular chances for the forwards.

The team were unlucky not to score and get the three points but it was a positive start to league action and a tremendous effort from everyone involved in really difficult conditions.

Well done to all WCWFC teams this weekend!

328 views0 comments
bottom of page