top of page

Worcester City Women Development Team push for a place in their second cup final of the season.

Tamworth Women 0-1 WCWFC Development

Worcester City Women Development Team went into today’s game looking to go on another cup run and push for a place in their second cup final of the season.

The match kicked off and started lethargic from both teams. The wind around the ground was very aggressive, forcing both teams to keep the ball on the deck right from the start.

After 10 minutes of play there were no chances for either team with both defences starting strong but struggling to settle the game and get hold of the ball.

The game remained very scrappy, however after 20 minutes, Tamworth came away with the better chances after 2 long efforts from distance stopped easily by Bridgwater.

The first chance of the game fell to Smith after Badland won a free kick right on the edge of the area after being through on goal. There was a potential shout for a red card as Badland was through and fouled outside the box. Smith stepped up and struck a high shot from 20 yards out, forcing the keeper into a save, pushing the ball over the bar.

The first half fizzled out with nothing going either way due to attacks stopped very effectively by both teams defences, ending the first half at 0-0.

The first half started much better from City’s point of view, as they finally began to string passes together and dominate possession more effectively than they had in the first half. Despite the dominance of possession, the first chance of the second half fell to Tamworth. The ball dropped nicely in the midfield as the ball was slotted through to the striker as Bridgwater rushed out and rushed the attacker, making a great save with her feet and forcing a corner. The corner was a tidy set piece routine as it was floated to the back post and headed back towards goal but saved again comfortably by Bridgwater and cleared away from any danger.

Knowing they had just been let off the hook by their goalkeeper, the Development side stepped it up a gear. They played out from the back to their right back Smith, who found a ball into midfield and played the ball wide to Smith on the edge of the box. Passing the ball across the edge of the box, the ball was set by Hill to Badland who shot from the edge of the box just evading the post.

Minutes later, the next chance fell to Hill again down the right side as a perfect ball was played through by Iasparro setting her through on goal and one on one with the keeper. Hill struck the ball hard and high, however the Tamworth goalkeeper pulled off an incredible save, denying City on the break.

After 5 minutes of tidy possession, City created another chance through Iasparro after Pygott delivered a cross into the box. She struck a shot from 3 yards out, however, denied again by another impressive save with her face by the opposition goalkeeper.

As the Development team started to create chances, the game became more open as the home side found a way through from a long ball straight through City, leaving the striker through on goal with Bridgwater. The score remained 0-0 after the City keeper made an excellent save, leading to a corner.

With 20 minutes to go, City made changes and the introduction of Pearson and Watson gave an immediate spark to the away side that had started to take control of the game, pinning the opposition in their own half and nullified all chances of counterattacks high up the pitch in the attacking half. City found the goal a minute later through Badland after Pearson found herself with room to pick out the square pass to Badland, who was free in the box for a simple tap in and what looked to be the winning goal for City.

2 minutes later, Watson found herself though on goal with a chance to put the game to bed after another exceptional pass by Iasparro however was yet again saved by the goalkeeper.

With 10 minutes remaining, City moved the ball around, seeing out the game in style. After some tidy skills by Hill down the right and a couple of occasions trips to the corner flag, City saw the last 10 minutes out with ease with the game ending 1-0 putting themselves in the hat for the next round.


WCWFC U18 1-4 Broadway U18

A disappointing return to league play on home turf at Little Perdiswell saw Worcester City Women's U18 lose 1-4 to a confident Broadway team.

The match began with Worcester showing early dominance, making several forays into Broadway's half and forcing the visitors to defend against numerous attempts on goal. However, Broadway managed to counter effectively, and in the 6th minute, they breached the City defence to secure the first goal of the match.

The game took a sour turn for City at the 11th minute when defender Meg sustained a knee injury following a heavy challenge, forcing her to watch the rest of the game from the bench.

The remainder of the first half saw end-to-end action, with both teams creating chances. Worcester's goalkeeper Becca was called upon to make numerous crucial saves as Broadway's number 10 continuously made penetrating runs into the box. Towards the end of the half, Ellie entered the field as centre forward, increasing the pressure on Broadway's defence with numerous shots on goal.

Despite relentless pressure from Worcester in the final 10 minutes of the half, they were unable to capitalize on their opportunities, and just before the break, Broadway outpaced the City defence to extend their lead to 0-2.

Entering the second half, Worcester faced an uphill battle against an increasingly strong and blustery wind, which favoured Broadway's fast-paced strikers. Within minutes, they found themselves trailing by three goals as the Broadway number 10 completed her hat trick, followed shortly by her fourth goal of the match.

Undeterred, Worcester continued to push forward, with Connie orchestrating play through the midfield and providing excellent passes to free up the wingers. Ellie and Roseann took advantage of these opportunities, but it wasn't until the dying minutes of the game that Ellie managed to beat the committed Broadway keeper with a perfectly placed shot, securing a consolation goal for City.

Despite the loss, Worcester City Women's U18 demonstrated resilience and determination throughout the match, showing promising signs for their future performances in the league.

421 views0 comments


bottom of page