top of page

Shrewsbury and Worcester share the points after a closely-fought contest

Shrewsbury Town 1-1 WCWFC

City started the game confidently, trying to get on the ball and attack the Shrewsbury back-line. The fast start was rewarded with an opportunity to go ahead in the opening minutes of the game after Mitcham was put through on goal but brought down by the Shrews keeper as she tried to round her. Mitcham picked up the ball to take the penalty and sent the keeper the wrong way with a cool finish into the bottom right of the net.

After the opener, the game settled with both teams trying to get on the ball and keep possession. Shrewsbury came close minutes after City's penalty but Stolt stood up well to deny the equaliser from close range.

A lot of the first half was played in the centre of the pitch, with both midfields working incredibly hard. City started to get a lot of joy down the left with left-back Motherwell driving forward with the ball on multiple occasions, linking up with Rogers.

Baldwin on the opposite side also was getting forward as much as possible and on one occasion came close to doubling City's lead after her cross was heading on target but the keeper tipped it away from danger.

Just before the break, Mitcham came close to getting a brace but was denied superbly by the Shrewsbury keeper from close range.

Shrewsbury came out fighting in the second half on the hunt for an equaliser, creating a few half chances but none to really test Stolt in the City goal.

For the majority of the half, both sides were canceling each other out with great signs of pressing. Manager Matt Tally made a couple of changes going into the last 10 minutes with the hope that Sime's and Farr's fresh legs will help see the game out.

Going into the final few minutes before stoppage time, Shrewsbury really upped the attacking tempo with their efforts paying off. After a corner was swung in and met by a Shrews head, the ball looked destined to hit the back of the net only to be blocked on the line by Baldwin and cleared away.

Shrewsbury however was claiming a handball from Baldwin and after a few seconds, the referee agreed and pointed to the spot. The decision was harsh on City as the ball appeared to have hit the thigh of Baldwin rather than her arm but with the referee deeming her to have handled the ball, she showed Baldwin the red for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity. Shrewsbury made no mistake with a confident penalty to equalise late in the game.

With City down to ten, the referee called for a lengthy 10 minutes of stoppage time. Although with a player down, City battled well for the remainder of the game to limit any Shrewsbury chances and come away with a well-earned point.

WCWFC will now turn their attention to next Sunday as they take on Burton Albion at Sixways Stadium in the League Cup (2pm kick-off).


Hear what Manager Matt Tally and Captain Jess Fassnidge had to say after the game:


Droitwich Spa 0-1 WCWFC Development

City's Development side move up to fifth in the league after a narrow win against Droitwich.

City started the game well and took the lead after a long ball was hunted down by Pearson, who shifted the ball across the box to Higgs and slotted the ball beyond the keeper's reach.

Higgs, on her return from a long-term injury, continued to dominate with some brilliant play down the right-hand side between C.Smith and Hill. Shortly after, City won a corner, with the ball eventually falling to Pygott on the edge of the box. The shot was drilled towards the Droitwich keeper, forcing a save above her head.

Just before the half-time whistle, Bridgewater saved the ball comfortably from a Drotiwich effort, holding onto City’s 0-1 lead.

The game settled in the second half with both teams trying to get on the ball and create chances.

Badland found herself driving with the ball beyond the Droitwich back line. The Droitwich keeper came out and did well to stop the shot from the City striker.

Towards the end of the second half, the game opened up, with the ball flying end to end. Both teams were after a goal, City to confirm the win and Droitwich looking to secure a point.

Droitwich did manage to create a couple of opportunities but Othick and May put in some crucial tackles to deny the Droitwich goal.

With minutes left of the game, L.Smith spotted the goalkeeper off her line and scooped the ball over the keeper, but it fell just wide of the goal.

After back-to-back wins for the Devs, confidence will be high as they take on Bewdley Town away from home in the league on Sunday.

249 views0 comments


bottom of page