top of page

Record breaking attendance watched on for City's last home game of the season

WCWFC 1-2 Shrewsbury Town

Great support for City as they break their attendance record at Sixways with 324 fans watching on.

A wonderful afternoon at the magnificent Sixways Stadium, as City hosted Shrewsbury Town. The stage was set and there were good moods all around for this exciting game of football.

Captain, Jess said: “It's bigger than the result, we’ve played a lot of games recently but the attendance was the cherry on top. The fans were amazing and to share Sixways with them, we couldn’t ask for anything more.”

A steady start for City in the opening five, just like the weather Worcester was looking bright, they were controlling the early bouts of possession and pressuring the backline.

This created an opportunity for the first chance. Mitcham broke into some space and fired towards the goal, her effort saved by the keeper and went for a corner.

Rogers stepped up next to try to give City the lead, she wiggled through two players before she let loose and thrashed the post.

Rogers was in again, an elegant flick to beat the defender she cut inside and tried to finesse into the far corner but she was just off target.

After struggling early on Shrewsbury was really starting to find their feet, a good string of passes saw them have a chance on goal but Hine was quick off her line to collect the on-coming pass.

A relatively quiet opening half saw neither team quite look dominant. Matt said: “For part of the game we were very sharp, Shrewsbury played very well, we have to scrub it off and go again. The club is moving forwards and the noise was brilliant, this should be what we aspire to do, I hope it puts Worcester on the map.”

It's the Salops who had the better start to the second, and they created the first chance of the half, a tame strike straight down the throat of Hine. It was easy for the City shot-stopper.

City had a chance not long after, a cross to the back post hit Hill whose effort was a touch too high and went over the bar. Hine was in action again not long after, she came to claim another cross.

Both teams looked unlikely to score, a dull affair with just 25’ minutes remaining. Marrett did have a low strike drift wide.

Shrewsbury, though, had the first goal, a great long-range effort, hit the underside of the bar, and back out again where it was headed home.

Not long after the Salops had doubled their lead, another effort from distance this one was close to 40 yards away from the goal it rose, dipped, and beat Hine.

A great reaction from City, Mitcham had the ball in the back of the net. A towering header that beat the keeper sending the ball across goal.

City was the much better side after scoring, but there wasn’t enough time left, leaving us without any points.

Thank you to all of our incredible fans for cheering us on, a record-breaking 324 attendance is massive for the club, you are all part of La Familia!

The first team is next in action on Sunday 21st May when they take on Shrewsbury again in the League Cup final (more information to be released in due course). The Development team travel to Bewdley Town on Wednesday night in a 7:30pm KO.

Match report written by Keanan Rolph. Photo taken by Marlock Photography.

Hear what Manager Matt and Captain Jess Fassnidge had to say following the game at Sixways:

391 views0 comments


bottom of page