top of page

League Cup Final Match Report

Shrewsbury Town 1-1 WCWFC (Shrewsbury win 4-2 on penalties)

Defeat on penalties in the final.

Matt said: “It's never nice to lose on penalties, two weeks ago we were celebrating penalties, and it's those fine margins, we performed well, and we have to keep doing what we do, I couldn’t be prouder of the girls and the club.

It's a massive achievement, and we’ve been on a journey from where we were, it's down to the club and everyone involved from behind the camera to the volunteers.”

It was a lovely and sunny afternoon for this highly anticipated League Cup Final in Evesham. A great showing from the fans packing out the main stand. 

It was the opposition side Shrewsbury who had the first opportunity early doors, a breakthrough on the left-hand side saw space, but the attack came to nothing. 

Both teams tried to find a foothold in the opening ten minutes of the game, working the width and channels well. Shrewsbury looked the more attacking of the two sides.

City did find their feet, great dribbling by Davies who took two players out of the game before splitting the defence with a great through ball which was squared to Mitcham, whose effort looked to be creeping in but was deflected. 

Hine was kept busy through the early exchanges as well, but she dealt with what the Salops were throwing at her. 

As time went on the game got more active, and Worcester was pushing the backline line looking to create more chances. 

City did have the ball in the back of the net after Mitcham beat the defender for strength, but the Referee blew for a foul and the goal didn’t stand. 

Hine was called into action right before the whistle, a superb, low-reflex save to keep the score level. Just before Marrett replaced Rogers. 

Half-time came with both teams still awaiting the opening goal to break the deadlock. 

Worcester started bright with Ritson breaking down the far side and trying to cut the ball across to the on-coming Mitcham, but it was some good defending to break down the attack. 

It was the Salops who got the first, a looping effort bested Hine, but City’s reaction was instant. Great work by the substitute Marrett who wriggled some space and played through to Mitcham who coolly slotted through the keeper to level. 

Mitcham said: “It was a great response from the team as we conceded minutes before and to get back into the game, get focused and try to win, but unfortunately that didn’t happen.” 

Both sides looked completely different from the first half, the game started to open up. 

Marrett almost gave City the lead, she knocked the ball around the rushing keeper, but the last defender was in to cover and sweep away. 

Another solid save from Hine, She dived and pushed away well from a curling free-kick heading goal-wards. 

Shrewsbury almost took the lead again, the striker beat the defence and slid her effort just wide of the post. 

Shortly after, a penalty for the opposition. The referee called for a handball from Dolloway in the box, which was accompanied by a sin-bin for Davies after a talk occurred with the ref. Shrews no.10 stepped up and blasted wide. 

The game played with both sides looking for the winner but coming up short and was all to play for as we came to the final whistle and penalties.

The girls gave it their all, but unfortunately, City succumbed to defeat on penalties.

City are now into the final week of their season with two away trips in the league. On Wednesday night, the first team travels to Coundon Court, followed by a trip to Kidderminster on the final day this Sunday.

Match report written by Keanan Rolph.


Hear what Manager Matt Lock and Striker Olivia Mitcham had to say following the League Cup Final defeat:

265 views0 comments
bottom of page