top of page

History making City through to the second round proper of the FA Cup

Updated: Nov 20, 2023

FA Cup First Round Proper : Rotherham United Women 0-5 WCWFC

Worcester City Women travelled north to Yorkshire to face Rotherham United Women in the First Round Proper of the FA Cup, and City put on a dominant performance. City was off to a quick start after Annie Highway opened the scoring in the 2nd minute with a shot from distance, which skipped off the wet surface and past the keeper. After the goal, City dominated play, confining Rotherham to their half, calmly controlling the pace of the game unaffected by the wet conditions.

The game continued this same trend throughout the half, with the majority of chances falling the way of WCWFC. With City owning possession, Rotherham resorted to their physicality to try and control the game, but WCWFC remained focused. In the 38th minute, Mitcham made it two after cleverly flicking the ball past the keeper after Emma Congrave delivered an inviting cross along the ground from the right flank. City’s dominance continued for the duration of the half and confidently went into the break.

Rotherham came out in the second half with a point to prove, desperate to claw back into the game for themselves and the considerable number of home supporters. In the 60th minute, Rotherham forced Stolt into an excellent save where she managed to get down to her right, tipping the ball around the post for a corner. Midway through the second half, City regained control of the match, owning more possession and looking dangerous.

Mitcham started the scoring off in the second half after Sime slotted a perfectly weighted ball through on goal where Mitcham coolly chipped the on-rushing keeper without needing a touch. A minute after this goal, Mitcham was played through on goal, and the Rotherham keeper came up with an expert save, denying Mitcham her hat trick, but there was little she could do for what came next.

WCWFC made it four in the 86th minute, after the everpresent Mitcham flicked a ball round the corner to Captain Fassnidge whose first touch took her in on goal, and her second saw the ball fly into the net off her left foot. At this point, the Worcester City traveling fans were enjoying the performance, and a buzz could be felt throughout the ground.

To cap off a remarkable performance, Higgs, who spent the start of the season side lined by injury, got in on the action. In the 88th minute, City surgically moved the ball down the left flank, and Ritson was played into the channel with space. She then played a ball in along the ground, eventually falling to Higgs at the back post where she bravely stretched her right leg out between two defenders and smashed the ball into the back of the net.

A few minutes later, the referee came to Rotherham's rescue by blowing for full-time. In doing so, a huge roar was heard from the away fans who occupied almost the entirety of the standing room along the side line.

City made club history with this win by advancing to the Second Round Proper of the FA Cup. We have been drawn at home to MK Dons Women.

The tie will take place on Sunday November 26th - not one to be missed, get your tickets now! Please Note - Season Tickets will NOT be valid for this game.

Thank you to the fans who travelled to witness this historic moment.


Hear what Manager Matt Tally and Midfielder Annie Highway had to say after the game:


Kingfisher 0-4 WCWFC Development

City kicked off the match with a phenomenal start, showcasing their attacking prowess right from the first minute. Alice Finley, in a congested area on the right, sent a long ball to Emily Crow who with quick thinking, laid it off to Mia Badland, who skilfully turned the defenders and thumped the ball into the net, giving City an early 1-0 lead just one minute into the game.

Despite City's dominant start, the opposition had moments of resilience. Lauren Smith and Lottie Watson linked up well on the left wing, but their promising attack was thwarted as a defender intercepted a crucial through ball.

In the 15th minute, Lauren played a delightful ball through to Emily Crow, who unleashed a powerful shot on goal. However, the Kingfisher keeper made a crucial save, denying City from further extending their lead.

City's relentless pressure paid off in the 27th minute when Lauren Smith delivered a precise cross from the left side into the box. Crow was perfectly positioned to finish, doubling City's lead to 2-0.

As the match progressed in to the second half, City attempted several through balls, although they were unable to convert them into scoring opportunities. Kingfisher, on the other hand, earned a few corners, but City's keeper, Kirsty Bridgewater exhibited solid goalkeeping skills, preventing any chances for the opposing team.

City continued to press forward, with Badland taking a shot that hit the crossbar. Watson followed up with another attempt, but her shot sailed over the top.

Then, Badland stunned everyone with a spectacular long-range strike, scoring a world-class goal that nestled into the bottom left corner. City now led comfortably with a 3-0 advantage.

Watson, undeterred by her earlier attempt, launched another powerful shot that struck the crossbar. Fortunately, the rebound fell to Smith, who calmly slotted the ball into the bottom right corner, making it 4-0 for City.

The match concluded with City's convincing victory, showcasing their skilful play and clinical finishing.


Lye Town U18s 1-0 WCWFC U18s

City started the game strong despite a smaller squad due to injuries and illnesses. Charlotte Roberts and Megan Pratt were solid at the back to deny any early Lye chances.

Lye broke the deadlock against the run of play after a strong strike at goal. City were strong throughout the park but we must mention a standout performance from Jenna Warner at full back, keeping Lye out and building the attack.

City continued to dominate the second half with Connie Poole, Ellie Roberts and Ella Archetti-Lutz combining well to create some chances. Unfortunately, the U18s couldn’t quite finish any chances. Worcester were unlucky to come away empty-handed, however, it was a much improved performance from the previous week.

Well done to all our Worcester City Women players and coaches!

402 views0 comments
bottom of page