top of page

City went 10 points ahead in the WMRWFL with a 6-0 dominant display against Crusaders at Sixways.

WCWFC 6 – 0 Crusaders Women 

City went 10 points ahead in the WMRWFL with a 6-0 dominant display against Crusaders at Sixways.The opposition was a side not to be underestimated after a win against our strong competitor Lye Town last weekend. Although this was their first league win of the season, they looked to frustrate and build on the form they’d started to grow into. 


It didn’t take long for City to find their rhythm in attack though. Although Crusaders sat deep in a defensive block, City were determined to find gaps to exploit. The chances started to come for City within the first ten minutes, primarily from set pieces. Defender Cerys Dolloway headed the ball on target from Leah Ritson’s corner, but Crusaders made a heroic save on the goal line to stop City from breaking away with the early lead.  


Crusaders’ defence remained difficult to penetrate but Emma Congrave looked a huge threat on the attack and after creating chances earlier on, opened things up in the 30th minute. Shona Baldwin put Congrave through and her shot went off the left post and bounced into the net to get City their first. 


With 10 minutes to go before half time City’s momentum continued to flourish. Progressive play from the back between Baldwin and Hollie Congrave found the feet of Laura Davies who put it past Crusaders’ number one in the 33rd minute.  


Not long after followed Ritson who made it 3-0 before halftime. After outpacing the opposition throughout the first half, Ritson was played through by Mitcham and the winger sent in a stunning strike, smashing the back of the net. 


It was almost a fourth with five minutes to go before the break, but Jess Fassnidge’s effort was flagged for offside after great build-up play beginning from Dolloway. 


Right off the bat of the second half, Congrave looked fierce once again. Laura Davies who had to deal with tight physical duels to get forward joined her on the run, linking up with Baldwin who put City’s first chance of the half skimming over the net. 


Crusaders had one shot from range as they took their chances to try and crawl one back, but it was a comfortable save for Sofia Stolt. Ritson and Congrave proved difficult for Crusaders to contend with once again, as they both surged on the attack. Despite this, they couldn’t find the link to hit the back of the net. Congrave did have a go at taking a shot from distance, but her effort scraped past the left post. 


Mitcham had to remain composed as the Crusaders’ defence tried to frustrate her as she tried to find a way to the back of the net. Crusaders’ pressure in the final third came to a head though as Congrave won City a free kick after being fouled outside the penalty area. It was the captain who converted the free kick with a shot that rippled sweetly into the centre of the net in the 67th minute. 


City’s fifth came from a superb sequence of link-up play between none other than Mitcham and Congrave. Mitcham flicked on to Congrave who slotted it home with five minutes to go before full-time. 


Our confidence continued as substitutes Kerstin Ballard and Tinny Conway proved to make an impact. Within minutes of coming on, Ballard struck from distance but saw her effort punched away. Tinny Conway shortly followed, making a good effort on goal, this time reaching the keeper’s palms. 


However, it was Ballard who got City’s sixth and final goal. Her effort this time curled in from outside the area to bring City’s sixth and final home with a minute to go before the final whistle. 


Our next game will be away against Lye Town next Sunday so please come and cheer us on!


Worcester City Women Show Resilience Against Formidable Hereford Pegasus

Hereford Pegasus 4 - 2 WCWFC

Hereford Pegasus were set to be a tough opponent going into today’s fixture, sitting 4th in the league but very much still in a promotion battle. However, City’s Devs didn’t allow that to affect them going into the game.

Both teams started well, but it was Hereford who drew first blood when their left-winger drove at the defence after a through ball, only to slot past the keeper into the bottom corner. 

City pushed for an equalizer with a ball played in from the right-hand side, only to find Bethan in space centrally, who hit a shot which the keeper saved. Hereford, however, continued to push and a deflection from a city player fell to the Hereford striker, but Leia did well to come out and make herself big to save the shot. Moments later, another chance arose for the striker after a through ball split the Worcester defence and the striker went around the keeper to slot home for their second. 

City continued to push for a goal and a chance fell to Elspeth as she was put through on goal after some lovely build up play through the middle, only to strike the ball over the crossbar. This only kickstarted the pressure applied by city and moments later they got their reward. Elspeth played in Mia who held the ball up to set it back to Elspeth who played Lauren through on goal who did well to slot it bottom right of the keeper 1-2 ending the first half. 

City continued the second half the way they finished the first, having the majority of the possession, but unfortunately they conceded from a corner 1-3. This wasn’t going to affect the team who pushed for a second. Sophie striking wide after Tilly found her on the edge of the box. Followed by an attempt from Kirsty, who’s shot inside the box is blocked by a Hereford defender and out for a corner.

Hereford, who had been deadly on the counter all day, played some lovely one - two football with the striker playing through their winger for the fourth 1-4. 

City’s hopes remained high and they got their reward when Elspeth shot towards goal was palmed away by the keeper only to find Lottie at the back post to slot home 2-4. City controlled the remainder of the game. 

Credit to Hereford, who were deadly on the transition today and took their chances very well, but City were also unlucky not to come away with something from the game.


City youngsters show determination and win two back to back victories to take them 6th in the table.

WCWFC U18 1- 0 Knowle Wasps U18

The clash between Knowle Wasps and City unfolded as a closely contested affair, with both sides displaying tenacity and determination throughout the game. The first half saw numerous opportunities arise, particularly for City, as the battle intensified in midfield.

It was City who came closest to breaking the deadlock in the 8th minute, when Ellie seized an opportunity, manoeuvring past two defenders before unleashing a powerful shot that flashed just wide of the far post, leaving the Knowle Wasps defence relieved. Some excellent distribution from Connie and Keira enabled Ellie to continue to threaten, who attempted another shot in the 18th minute, only to see it narrowly miss the target, much to the frustration of the City faithful.

Knowle Wasps also had their moments, with a promising attack in the 23rd minute culminating in a shot that hit the bar and rebounded, only for the second shot to go back over the bar. Knowles's persistence nearly paid off in the 36th minute when an attacking move resulted in another strike that cannoned off the woodwork, much to the disappointment of the Knowle bench.

As the first half drew to a close, City orchestrated another flowing move, with Charlotte at the back delivering a cross-field pass to Bella on the right wing who provided an exceptional goal mouth cross that City were unable to convert, leaving the scoreline level at the break.

The second half commenced with both teams playing at a high intensity, eager to seize control of proceedings. City gained the upper hand in the 48th minute when a one two with Mia found Ellie in possession just inside the City half. Ellie used her skill and pace to evade two defenders before making a penetrating run through Knowle's final third to calmly slot the ball under the goalkeeper, giving City a crucial 1-0 lead.

City tried to capitalise on their lead with a number of promising attacks developing down the left and right wings with Bella and Jazz respectively, but to no avail. 

Despite City's dominance, Knowle Wasps defence remained resolute, with Ellie's threatening run down the left flank in the 82nd minute requiring a timely intervention from the opposition defence to deny her another goal-scoring opportunity.

In the dying moments of the match, Knowle Wasps nearly found an equalizer when in the 86th minute their striker, who had been threatening all game, managed to breach the offside trap and found herself through on goal. However, a superb save from Becca preserved City's slender lead, securing a hard-fought victory and all three points.

Following the game, the players voted Charlotte Roberts as Player of the Match for her attacking intent and defence resolve.

250 views0 comments
bottom of page