top of page

City through to the next round of the League Cup following a 3-0 victory over Burton

League Cup 1st Round: WCWFC 3-0 Burton Albion

Worcester City Women FC hosted Burton Albion Women in the First Round of the League Cup, and City put on a masterclass.

From the start, City controlled the tempo of the match, and the midfield trio of Fassnidge, Sime, and Davies hardly put a foot wrong. While City put Burton under constant pressure, they did a good job of limiting our chances. In the 20th minute, Burton's backline stepped up with some heroics by blocking two consecutive shots off the line, first an effort from Fassnidge and then by Mitcham.

In the 42nd minute, the golden opportunity finally came after a mistake from a Burton defender, whose errant back pass was smartly picked off by Fassnidge, who coolly rounded the advancing keeper, passing it into an open net. City went into halftime 1-0 up.

The second half started much like the first, with City maintaining control of the ball, forcing Burton deep into their own half. In the 50th minute, after earning a corner, Ritson found the head of Hollie Congrave, who confidently nodded it into the bottom right corner.

Chances were piling up for City, as Burton found it difficult to deal with the high press, resorting to clearing their lines, where the center-back partnership of Hollie Congrave and Jones calmly picked up any loose balls.

City then came close to adding a third after substitute Higgs had an effort come off the crossbar, falling to the feet of Rodgers, whose shot rattled the post; the score remained 2-0.

In the 85th minute, after Annie Sime won City a freekick 25 meters out, Davies snatched the ball, intending to cap off a brilliant performance. Her free-kick caught the keeper off guard and arrowed into the side netting. Minutes later, the ref blew for full-time, confirming the victory for Worcester City Women.

With this win, City secured a place in the Second Round of the competition. Keep an eye out on our socials to see who we are up against next. Huge thanks to our Matchday Sponsors Autocalibration, who are pictured here with the team ahead of Kick Off. Interested in becoming a Matchday Sponsor? Find out more here.

City will now turn their attention to the FA Cup 1st Round Proper where they travel to Rotherham United on Sunday in a 1pm kick-off.


Hear what Manager Matt Tally and Midfielder Laura Davies had to say after the game:


Bewdley Town 1-0 WCWFC Development

A narrow defeat for the Development Team after a dominant display away at Bewdley Town.

City started well, an early opportunity saw Elcox-Bond finding herself with plenty of space and time in the middle. However, the shot went just wide of the post, scaring Bewdley early on.

Worcester's strong start continued with Bennett and L.Smith creating space for each other before they switched the ball over to the right-hand side of the pitch for Watson to drive onto. Watson slotted the ball through the back line of Bewdley, for Badland to run onto, forcing the Bewdley goalkeeper to come off her line and deny an early goal for City.

Elcox-Bond continued to find herself on the ball. After drawing a foul, Finley put the resulting free-kick bottom left, forcing the keeper into a save with her feet.

Collins earnt much praise in goal for the Devs, after stepping up to cover the absent Bridgewater. Quickly proving herself in goal, after making two saves in quick succession from 1v1 positions against a Bewdley attacker.

Bewdley lacked possession but was a regular threat on the counter-attack, with one of their midfielders finding space and firing into the top of the goal to make it 1-0.

The second half began comfortably for City, with space opening up again down the two wings of the pitch. Watson was played through on goal, but the Bewdley keeper did enough for Watson to put the shot just wide.

Collins was the centre of more crucial saves in the second half, keeping the scoreline at 1-0. She did well to make herself seen and steal the ball from the Bewdley striker.

Shortly after, Collins found herself outside the box, having to put a challenge in on the Bewdley attacker after the ball was played through City’s back line. This challenge resulted in a free kick just outside the area, which hit the crossbar before being scrambled to safety by the goalkeeper.

City was still pressing for an equaliser, as more opportunities arose using the width of the pitch. L.Smith had a chance which was put just wide of the right post, as did Badland who hit the post.

Worcester made some substitutions in the second half which positively impacted the game, with Conway making her return after a spell on the sideline!

The game was all but over with Bewdley managing the game well, before creating one last chance for themselves to solidify the scoreline. C.Smith did well to recover from the Bewdley half to put a challenge in on the attacker to deny a second goal.

The Devs return to league action on Sunday when they travel to Kingfisher in a 2pm kick off.


WCWFC U18s 1-6 Lye Town U18s

A game of two halves saw City lose at home to Lye Town.

A strong Lye side dominated the first half and put five past City before half-time with all goals coming in quick succession.

The second half was much better for City with Eva Thomas and Bella Keates showing desire to play with the ball.

Worcester was combining well in the middle with Connie Poole and Rebecca Wood creating some half-chances for Ellie Roberts.

City’s only goal of the game came from a Kiera Shipley corner and a Rebecca Wood volley.

Lye however restored their five-goal lead shortly after with not long to go and came out 1-6 winners.

421 views0 comments


bottom of page