top of page


Burton Albion 0-8 WCWFC

Worcester City Women breezed past Burton Albion 0-8 as Olivia Mitcham grabbed a hat-trick as City moved up to second in the league.

The emphatic scoreline has seen City score 21 goals in their last four games in all competitions.

Two screamers from Annie Highway gave City a grip-hold of the game within 25 minutes. A third was added almost instantly by Mitcham after a great assist from Baldwin. The striker crashed an effort to the Keeper’s right as Worcester made it three in 30 minutes.

Two more were also added to the tally as Jess Fassnidge slotted home with a controlled volley from a wonderful cross from Mitcham, which was enough to beat Albion keeper, Tatarczuk. Dolloway got the fifth with a beautifully lofted ball from outside the area, which sailed in to the top corner.

Tally’s side started where they left off for the second half as from kick-off, Mitcham got her second as she was first to react to a back pass and nipped the ball around the Keeper and cooly slotted home.

The introduction of Ritson, Motherwell, Sime, Griffiths and Jones ensured City’s momentum continued and it was Motherwell who provided the assist for Mitcham’s third, when she was again the first to react to a looping ball in from Motherwell and flicked the ball past the Burton Keeper on 63 minutes.

Emma Congrave got in on the goalscoring action to make it 0-8 on 78 minutes. Eye-catching, one-touch passing play between Jess Fassnidge and full-back Shona Baldwin, who had been effective all afternoon down the right, played in Congrave, who cooly slotted home.

Late on Sofia Stolt was forced into a great save, tipping an effort over the bar for a corner. And that set-piece is where The Brewers thought they had grabbed a goal – only for it to be ruled for offside by the assistant referee.

A huge win for City as they move up to second in the West Midlands Regional Premier League, whilst also boasting the biggest goal difference of +17.

Thank you to our amazing traveling supporters!

City are on the road again next week as we travel to Shifnal Town in the league for a 2pm kick off.

Don't forget to get your FA Cup tickets for our next game at Sixways!


Hear what Manager Matt Tally and hat-trick hero Olivia Mitcham had to say after the game:


WCWFC Development 5-3 Rugby Town

Elspeth Hill stars as she bags a hat-trick to help the Development team claim their first league win of the season.

Despite a 45-minute delay to kick-off with the visitors being stuck in traffic, City started strong, with the first opportunity being converted by Hill. It all came from a Rugby goal kick, which was sent back up the pitch by City’s defence, creating the loose ball for Hill to capitalise on.

Hill created another opportunity shortly after, playing a blinding ball across from right to left to Bennett. She managed to glide past 3 defenders before putting a shot at goal which the goalkeeper got her hands to.

Rugby made it 1-1 after their right winger created some space for herself, before cutting the ball back to their striker, who was left unmarked and slotted the ball into the bottom right of the goal.

Bennett continued to create lots of opportunities in the game, after gliding past the Rugby defence, the ball was cut back to Hill on the edge of the box who placed the ball beautifully into the bottom corner first time.

Rugby started to come into the game more late in the first half, but couldn’t create much to show for it. After Rugby's good spell in the game, Watson scored on the counter for City, grabbing her first for the club this season.

Early in the second half, Hill again found herself on the ball, she drove from the halfway line and curled the ball into the corner to get her hat-trick.

Boswell created an opportunity, putting a cross into the Rugby box, where Smith took the ball down and shot. The shot hit the crossbar and bounced down on the goal line with the officials deeming it not to have crossed the line for a City goal.

Rugby started to create more chances late in the second half. The Rugby striker bagged two goals in quick succession, both times getting around City's backline and slotting the ball in the back of the net.

Bridgewater made a very important low save late in the game to keep the City lead, before the ball was cleared up the attacking end, for Pygott to chip the keeper and finish the game off 5-3.

City’s Development team travel away next week to Redditch Borough's Development side in the 2nd round of the County Cup.

Match report written by Izzy Jakeways.

361 views0 comments


bottom of page