top of page

510 fans watched on as City competed in the FA Cup 2nd Round for the first time in their history

Adobe Womens FA Cup 2nd Round: WCWFC 0-3 MK Dons

Worcester City Women FC hosted MK Dons in the second round proper of the Adobe FA Cup last Sunday, and although MK Dons are two tiers above City, a close match was still anticipated. The atmosphere was building around Sixways before kick off as a record-breaking crowd of 510 fans made their way to Sixways to support City.

The first half started with MK Dons confidently controlling possession and looking for a way to break down the City backline. In spite of this, City were able to maintain their cool under pressure and look for opportunities on the break, with Mitcham and Congrave both making inroads into the opposition's half.

The first chance did, however, fall the way of MK Dons when a good ball into the box found their striker, whose effort rattled the frame of the goal. A few minutes later, MK Dons were through on goal again, but Stolt was up to the challenge, making an excellent foot save to keep the scores level. Stolt continued to do well throughout the half, confidentiality catching each of the opposition's crosses. The score remained 0-0 going into halftime.

The second half started much like the first, with MK Dons maintaining control over the ball, but City did well to hold their shape. However, in the 50th minute, MK Dons midfielder Lucy Woods, opened the scoring for the away side with her shot rippling the roof of the net from close range. MK Dons went on to score two more goals in quick succession, in the 64th and 69th minute, making the score 0-3.

While the 3rd goal was undoubtedly a devastating blow, City still held their heads high, and the record-breaking crowd helped them raise their game. In the 74th minute, after some great build-up play between Fassnidge, Baldwin, and Highway, Highway delivered a beautifully whipped cross into the box where Mitcham rose and met it perfectly, but as the keeper stood there stranded, the crowd held their breath and watched as the ball glanced off the outside of the post. City were unlucky not to pull one back.

From this point on, City dominated the play, and while they did not get the result they were looking for, the match yielded positive takeaways. Notably, the atmosphere at Sixways was energetic, and with each opportunity that City orchestrated, the spectators couldn't help but erupt in fervent exclamations, creating an atmosphere of heightened excitement throughout the stadium.

Thank you so much to our wonderful fans for your support.

City are back at Sixways this Sunday as they take on Coventry Sphinx in the league in a 2pm kick off.


Hear what Manager Matt Tally and Sophie Griffiths had to say after the game:


Rugby Town 3-2 WCWFC Development

Rugby Town picked up all the points despite being two goals down.

Both teams started slow in the cold conditions, however, City began to find some rhythm after ten minutes, finally stringing some passes together.

After twenty minutes of better football for City, they found the breakthrough when Smith capitalised upon a mistake made by the Rugby defence. Calmly slotting it down the right-hand side of the goalkeeper to make it 0-1.

Worcester shifted up a gear after half time, playing better progressive football which after just five minutes of second-half action led to their second goal. Started by Watson down the left-hand side with some tricky footwork to beat a couple of players and then pulled the ball back to Conway who beat the defender and finished it past the keeper beautifully.

A massive chance fell to Pygott ten minutes later after a tidy one-two on the edge of the box with Badland put her one-on-one with the keeper. However, it trickled marginally past the post giving Rugby a massive wake-up call.

After City missed a couple more chances and started to panic in possession, Rugby started to grow in confidence pushing City back into their own half for a long period of time.

Around the 70th minute, Rugby eventually got their first goal after a long ball played from the middle of the park was not cleared and left them through on goal making it 1-2 with over twenty minutes still to play.

Rugby continued to push Worcester back as they scored a second in quick succession after the ball broke through yet again to their player who tucked it under the keeper to level the game.

As Rugby pushed late into the game they eventually pounced on a misplaced clearance which left them one-on-one with the City keeper. Rugby tucked it away to win the game in the last minutes of the game completing the comeback from two goals down.

The Development team travel again this Sunday as they take on Leamington Lions in a 2pm kick off.


WCWFC U18s 1-0 Tamworth Academy U18s

A dominant City performance saw them pick up the win against Tamworth.

Worcester started the game strong with some chances that unfortunately couldn’t be converted. City's defence in Rose Passant and Lydia Hart kept a strong Tamworth striker quiet.

City broke the deadlock with the only goal of the game which came from a quick throw-in from Eva Thomas for Charlotte Roberts to run onto. Roseann Day finished off the quick counter with a back post tap-in just before half time.

City continued to dominate going into the second half with some more chances for Mia Guinan and Eva Thomas, that couldn’t be put away. Although dominant, Tamworth did score just after half-time but was ruled out for offside.

A well-deserved three points on home soil for the U18s!

331 views0 comments
bottom of page